Sunday, July 09, 2006

Readings~missing manual and exploring

The Missing Manual reading was full of technical information that will be helpful. The ins and outs of the software is important to learn. I tend to be more of a hands on kind of learner. So next time I go into the suite I will definitely have the 'Manual' by my side so that I can use those chapters as reference. Once I complete a task a number of times it will become, like you said, 'muscle memory'. Plenty of the tips to make the most of iMovie were included.

Not sure if anyone feels this way, but each time I read the 'Manual' it touts how wonderful the iMovie software program is. It reads like a brochure to get me to purchase the software. It seems carefully crafted and too often brags about the software. Wish it would simply state the tasks available and go through examples of how to complete certain tasks or combination of tasks. Don't want to sound too cynical, but how much of a kickback are the authors making form Apple, Inc.?

The chapter in Exploring read like a definitive in script writing and creative thinking. I laughed. A subject like creative thinking could be a whole area of study at a University. Trying to sum it up on a page or two in a video manual maybe well meaning, but short sighted. I realize the author was intending to inspire us but gee wiz, we haven't come this far without knowing how to stroke a muse or two.

I have never worked scripts for T.V. shows or movies but I have worked with commercial scripts and have seen them done in a variety of layouts. When Rysinger writes about this she approaches the subject like a definitive source, instead of simply presenting some commonly used formats for script writing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Profdorian said...

"but each time I read the 'Manual' it touts how wonderful the iMovie software program is. It reads like a brochure to get me to purchase the software. "

Yes, the book (and Pogue) can be a little bit...'yea, go team!'You just have to get past that bit. I wonder what kind of kickback he gets from Apple?

Take a look at the tutorials on line; some people find those really helpful.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home